SIBU Sanctuary’s Volunteer Program
If you are interested in volunteering at SIBU please read over this page closely to learn more. If you think you would be a good match for our organization, please fill out and submit the application at the bottom of the page. We are always in need of volunteers with education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Wildlife rehabilitation
- Animal science
- Animal behavior
- Veterinary technology
- Veterinary medicine
- Nursery/Greenhouse production
- Tropical agriculture
- Small scale organic farming
In addition to these qualifications/experience we are also looking for applicants with the following:
- A willingness to make a strong commitment to the monkeys and the organization
- The ability to work calmly around animals in a respectful and humane manner
- Can conduct other kinds of physical work and is able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including 95 degree Fahrenheit + weather
- Able to tolerate working in an environment with stinging and biting insects (mosquitoes, bees, scorpions, ants, etc.)
- Preferably 21 years of age and older
- Is willing to work various shifts including weekends and holidays
- Be capable and willing to follow all safety procedures and animal care protocols
- Is prepared to move to a small, rural community with limited access to internet, and television
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal
- Conversational Spanish a plus
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle a plus
- Must have international health insurance if visiting full time volunteer
- Must have current tetanus vaccination
- Familiarity with exotics and/or wildlife a plus
- Experience working in an animal sanctuary or similar work environment a plus
Duties vary depending on the individuals experience, skills and interests. They may include but are not limited to:
Participate in the daily care of all animals.
- Clean habitats
- Help with the delivery of fresh produce by unloading supplies
- Prepare and distribute food
- Report any animal showing signs of ill health or injury to management
- Dispense medications and medical treatments
- Assist in daily leaf collection for howlers
Grounds and enclosure maintenance work as required.
- Make and help install primate bridges
- Help replace branches and vines within enclosures
- Keep pathways and other areas around the Sanctuary clear of debris
- Assist with construction projects
Participate in greenhouse maintenance and upkeep.
- Planting seeds
- Planting saplings throughout the Sanctuary
Local Part Time Volunteers
Local part time volunteers are generally people who already live in Nosara area, who can commit to helping at SIBU at least 2 shifts a week on a set schedule. Duties typically include food preparation, cleaning, habitat maintenance, and greenhouse maintenance, however duties may vary greatly depending on skills, experience, age and interests. If you are interested in volunteering at SIBU, and you live in the Nosara area and can commit to volunteering 2 shifts a week for at least 1 month, please fill out the volunteer application below.
Visiting Full Time Volunteers
Visiting full time volunteers typically move to the Nosara area temporarily for the primary purpose of volunteering at SIBU. Full time volunteers may be required to work up to 6 days a week depending on the number of volunteers we have.
We are able to offer free housing for full time volunteers in our on-site volunteer/staff casita. The casita is a 3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, hot water showers, and clothes washer/dryer.
Cell phones – We suggest bringing a cell phone with you that is “unlocked” and requires a sim card. Once in Costa Rica you may purchase a sim card from Kolbi or Claro. As soon as the sim card is installed in your phone and is loaded with prepaid minutes/data credit you may be begin using it. The sim card may be reloaded with more minutes/data credit at most supermarkets, and mini supermarkets. To learn more please visit Kolbi or Claro websites.
Internet – There is a volunteer cell phone with unlimited data, kept in the volunteer/staff casita at all times. Volunteers may use the personal hotspot on the phone to connect their personal devices (laptops, tablets, cell phones, e-readers, etc…) to the internet when at the casita. The phone may also be used for brief phone calls to other Costa Rican phone numbers.
SIBU is located in the outskirts of Boca de Nosara in the pueblo of Santa Marta in Nicoya, Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Below you will find a list of points of interest and their proximity to SIBU. We do have bicycles available for volunteer use. However, you may wish to rent a 4-wheeler, vehicle or take a tuk-tuk or bus if you are interested in visiting places out of walking/bicycling range. Click here to learn more about the Nosara area.
La Bandida (closest local style restaurant) 1.2 km 14 minute walk 2 minute drive
Mini Supermarket (closest mini supermarket) 1.2 km 14 minute walk 2 minute drive
Super La Paloma (closest supermarket) 2.5 km 31 minute walk 5 minute drive
Super Nosara (largest supermarket) 3.5 km 43 minute walk 7 minute drive
Banco de Costa Rica (closest ATM/bank) 2.9 km 35 minute walk 6 minute drive
Gasolinera (closest gas station) 2.9 km 35 minute walk 6 minute drive
La Malanoche (closest WIFI & restaurant) 2.9 km 35 minute walk 6 minute drive
Bar Olga’s (only beach front bar and rest.) 4.8 km 58 minute walk 10 minute drive
Playa Pelada (closest accessible beach) 4.8 km 58 minute walk 10 minute drive
Playa Guiones (closest surfing beach) 5.8 km 1 hr 13 minute walk 13 minute drive